Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Not To Wear - Interview Edition

So, I'm not longer in love with my job. I'm getting out there and looking for a new one. I have been in the same position for 7 years. I haven't been on any interviews in awhile, and I'm pretty sure a lot has changed. I didn't know what to wear, so I consulted with my good friend Kea and my best friend Carey on what to wear. I wanted to come up with a list of what not to wear for those who might not have a support team to consult with.

Ladies:

1. Big bright or large-patterned clothing - Try not to be so bold and in your face. It's best to stick with navy, black or gray.

2. Makeup - Heavy makeup and interviews don't mix well with each other. Don't go
with your club kid makeup on. Keep it very simple! A little foundation, simple lip and a little blush.

3. Nails - Leave your long fingernails, bright or specialty polishes at home. Nails should look clean and be trimmed.

4. Shoes - 7 inch and clear shoes should be left at King of Diamonds.

Men:

1. Ties - The wrong tie can ruin your entire look. Ties should be made of silk, no less than three and a quarter inches wide with a conservative pattern.

2. Earrings - Avoid wearing jewelry; unless it is a wedding ring, class ring or metal watch. So don't show up with your ears iced out.

3. Short-sleeved shirts - Short-sleeved shirts look even worse when worn with a tie. Just eww and yuck.

4. Socks - Men whose socks don't match their shoes, or whose socks are too short and leave a gap of flesh when they are seated. I hate your soul for wearing that fellas.


I didn't know these rules when I went shopping on Saturday. Needless to say I bought this beautiful orange and pinkish Jessica Simpson dress. I was going to wear the dress with gold metallic sandals and have all 10 of my bright pink toes showing. Yea, I was going to be "that" girl at my interview. But after talking to my personal stylists Kea and Carey, I'm going with a whole new look. Black trousers with a deep purple shirt, black blazer and black closed toe wedges.


No comments: