Sunday, August 18, 2013

Just A Thought

Why do people ask questions they really don’t want to know the answer to?  Have you ever thought about that? I'm referring to the question “How are you feeling?” or any question where people are asking about your well being. People ask me that question all the time and always without hesitation respond with “ok” or “fine”, even when that’s not the case. 


Me thinking

Last night I thought about what would happen if I was honest with the world and really stated how I felt. The next time I’m asked that question, I could respond with “horny” or “anxious to get away from you”.  The latter maybe a rude response, but why should I lie when you asked the question. As I go deeper in my mind about this I am reminded of my southern upbringing, where polite always trumps honesty. I can remember my mom grooming me and my brothers about social etiquette and taboos. I was raised to give the appearance that everything is always ok even if it wasn't. This tradition is something held so dear to southern society that it is considered unthinkable to not always have a smile on your face. My mom loves to say, “As long as God woke you up this morning, you shouldn't have anything to complain about”. Well life isn't like that. I’m not always “fine” or “ok”. I should be able to express that rather than giving an inauthentic automated response. JUST A THOUGHT.

 By LeVance Gordon Jr

No comments: